Friday, September 9, 2011

Where were you when the world stopped turning?

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard about the first plane flying into the World Trade Center's North Tower. It was almost 9:00 AM on Tuesday, September 11, 2001...I was in the cafeteria at Palm Beach Atlantic University getting cereal and a banana before my 9:30 class. There was a TV right above my head where I was standing. I noticed it got quite and everyone was watching the TV and that is when I saw the first tower on fire. I knew it was bad but honestly, I knew nothing about the World Trade Centers and thought it was just a random freak accident so I watched for a minute then went on my way. I ate breakfast and went on to class. I went to my 9:30 class and knew something was wrong. Half the class was out, a couple people were crying and the teacher was not there. That is when someone in the class said that another plane hit the other tower and there was talk of this being a terrorist attack and there were probably more coming. Our teacher finally showed up and made an announcement about the attacks, said a prayer and told us that all classes were canceled for the rest of the day. The rest of the day was spent glued to the TV. We learned a plane crashed into the Pentagon and another crashed in a field outside of Pittsburgh. That night, my church, First Baptist Church of West Palm Beach, held a prayer service for all the victims and the others affected by these attacks. I remember my roommate, Vanessa, and I going and sitting with my parents, holding hands and praying...

This Sunday will be the 10 year anniversary of that day. Many of the TV channels have already started showing 9/11 documentaries and programs and this weekend will be filled with more. I am so thankful for all the men and women out there who have fought, are fighting and will fight in the future for our freedom and to protect our country. God Bless America!







Do you remember where you were and what you were doing that morning?

No comments: